When you decide to hire freelance writers, the idea of choosing the “right writer” for the job can be a bit overwhelming. After all, how can you possibly figure out who will understand your topic, match the voice you have in mind and be willing to work with you to create the perfect piece for your webpage? The first step towards choosing a writer that can produce the content you desire is reviewing profiles. No matter what platform you choose when you hire freelance writers, there is likely some form of writer profile for you to view. Before you pull the trigger and hire that wordsmith, discover a few tips that can help you review those profiles.
- Professional Writers, Professional Profile – When you look at a writer’s profile, look for spelling errors, major mistakes and an overall level of professionalism. A writer who wants to impress clients will not fill his or her profile with “textspeak” nor make it overly-complex with too much technical jargon. A clean, well-executed profile is often a good sign that the writer the content creation business.
- Look for Industry Experience – If you have a particularly difficult or highly technical topic, you may need more than just a good writer. Look for someone who is experienced in your industry. This will make it easier for the writer to understand your instructions and research the information necessary to do the job right the first time.
- Reviews, Rankings or Endorsements – While the setup will vary from platform to platform, most websites that allow you to hire writers have some way of scoring the writer on past work. Look at the writer’s rank, score or reviews from past clients to get a better idea how he or she performed on other tasks similar to yours.
- Sample the Goods – It is very important that you view samples of the work the writer is capable of producing. After all, it is easy enough for a writer to boast he or she can produce the content you need—pulling it off is something different.
- Profile Differences – The various content platforms each have a slightly different format for their profiles. Spend time getting comfortable with how the profiles are put together on each site so you do not miss important information.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask – Most websites offer a way for you to get in touch with the writer to ask questions. If there are confusing profile details or things you want more information about, just ask!
Hiring a writer is an important task for content marketing and building a social media presence. The right writer can be an important addition to your content marketing team while the wrong writer can cause extra work on your part. Spend a few extra minutes browsing through profiles now and you can save additional work and effort later. Once you’ve worked with a couple of writers, you’ll have a better idea of what to look for when you start that profile search next time.
Tracy S is a freelance writer available on WriterAccess, a marketplace where clients and expert writers connect for assignments.
Tags: hire freelance writers